Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Mama's Boy: Duke

Often times, I have a hard time believing that Duke hasn't been a part of our lives for even a full year yet. I guess we were lucky to have a boxer boy blend in so well with our household and the crazy lives that we lead. But, we were lucky in a lot of other ways too, or should I say that I am lucky?

Duke is a Mama's Boy! He loves his mama, and I'm lucky because I'm the recipient of this adoration, and believe me, I don't doubt for a minute that this sweet boxer boy completely adores me. I don't think a minute goes by when I'm at home, that my sweet boy doesn't know exactly where I am in the house, and frankly, he's never very far from where I am. When Duke is on the job with me, he hates being left in my office and protests quite loudly and comically until I bring him out to prove to him that I'm just fine. I can tell without even looking that the tongue on the other side of the shower curtain belongs to Duke. I can tell without even looking that the paw on my knee definitely belongs to Duke. I can tell without even looking that the loud, freight train like snore keeping me up at night, most certainly belongs to Duke!

I've been more observant of these things lately, maybe because Duke is becoming even more of a mama's boy than he was a few months ago, or maybe the love that I've had for him since the first time I saw his sweet droopy face is deepening. I'm not entirely sure, but something is going on between Duke and I.

The other day, I was curled up in the recliner, book in hand, big fuzzy blanket on my lap completely comfortable. Out of nowhere, here comes Duke... He landed perfectly on his mama's lap and proceeded to get comfy with his head resting on my knee. As soon as he settled in, he let out a very deep, very contented sigh. It would seem that as long as he's close to me, he's perfectly happy. (I should mention that Lucy was madder than a hornet by these events and proceeded to let Duke and I know in no uncertain terms that she was not cool with this!)

I finally got a break from work yesterday, and hurried home at 12:30 to spend some time with my pups and hopefully get a nice long nap. When I walked in the door, Duke seemed so relieved to see me, while Lucy darted for the nearest toy. It was a beautiful day here yesterday, and I couldn't wait to spend some time in the sunshine with the kids, and I thought that they would hit the yard running. Lucy hit the yard running. Duke sat next to me on the step with a paw on my leg, and he didn't move until I got up to go in the house.

And when I curled up in bed for my nap, Duke was right next to me. Last night, he and I fell asleep with both of our heads on my pillow, his paw was over my back. I can't think of anything sweeter! There is definitely a special bond between me and my little boy!


14 comments:

  1. Awwwwe! A Momma and her boy. I know what your talking about because Fred has become even more cuddly lately. Sometimes I find myself tearing up thinking of how much a Momma's boy he is. Our little boys are growing up! (sniff, sniff) Sounds like a great day with your babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww Duke, you sure found the right home for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one of the best feelings in the world isn't it? My boxer boy and had the same love! People don't understand when I say that he was my soul mate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a mammas boy too! I love Duke's wrinkly forehead- very sophisticated! Nice to find your blog! Woofs and Wiggles

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can you possibly have a bad day, when you know that adoration is waiting for you at home!

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Y'all,

    It's a guy thing! They told my Human that I was "very needy". I'm practically glued to my Human and often touch with my nose. I'm not allowed on furniture though, so no lap or nap time.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup,

    My brudder is a momma's boy too. :)

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it and so glad you shared. I think this week has reminded each of us to cherish each and every moment we have with the ones we love both human and four legged kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that bond! Just today, Shiver was all curled up on my lap, as per usual, and as I pet him, I thought about how he always wants to be near me.

    Whenever he goes out, he scratches on the door every 5 seconds. Once I open the door, he runs off happily. He just wants to make sure I have abandoned him.

    If I'm busy doing something and not paying enough attention to him, he'll come running into the room to show me he has something he shouldn't. He'll growl just enough to get my attention and then run off, leaving me to chase him to get the item back.

    One thing I know for sure, Shiver loves his mama.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ^He just wants to make sure I have NOT abandoned him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Duke has a face that no one can resist.. Such a sweet looking boy...

    Mom Sai d she can totally relate to your connection with duke.. Cuz she has the same Ning with me too..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Duke is just adorable I am glad he has such a lovely home with you

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are experiencing what I have with my Calhoun. He is my heartdog- end of story. Love my Callieboy!

    mamma heartbeat

    ReplyDelete