Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Best Spot

The last several nights we have had a battle of sorts in the bed. For many months now, Lucy has been very content to let Duke sleep at the top of the bed next to me. For whatever reason, she's just not content with that anymore. Maybe she's decided it's her turn, and he needs to retire to the end of the bed and give her a shot at snuggling with her mom, but he has no intention of doing that.

Last night started out like every other night. Duke jumped up into the bed and got comfy; the top half of his body on my chest, a paw on either side of my head and his head resting dead center on my chest. Within minutes, he was snoring. Lucy had curled up on the other side of me by my hips. She kept looking up at Duke and I, and she would sigh! I knew it was only a matter of time before she decided to correct the problem.

Somehow I managed to wiggle part of Duke's body off of my chest, which is no small task with an 80 pound boxer I can assure you. I had just settled in and started to get comfortable when I noticed that Lucy had gotten up and was making her way slowly up to the top of the bed and my pillow, with her little bottom wiggling the whole way. She knew exactly what she was doing, and didn't much care what Duke thought about what she was going to do.

It took her only a minute, she circled a couple of times, still wiggling, and settled down right next to me with her head on the pillow, and this time when she sighed, I knew it was a contented sigh and not a frustrated one.

At 4:00 AM, I was awakened by the fact that the room was so hot that I could barely stand it. I got up and turned the space heater off and made a trip to the bathroom. By that time, both kids had gotten up to and figured if I got to make a pit stop, so did they. I let them both out for a quick tinkle, and then we all climbed back into bed. This time Lucy jumped into bed and got first pick of the best spot, right next to my head while Duke had to settle for snuggling in at my hip!

The "Best Spot" in our bed is very clearly next to mama's head!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like our house. Lucy just figured that since Duke got the porterhouse steak, it's only right she get the best spot with her Momma! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Lucy turn Duke! Share
    Dachshund Nola

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have certain places in the big bed and we stick to them or else there is too much tension. SHE hates it when we lie on either side of her and SHE is hemmed in.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  4. My boys are the same way. Usually, I end up with one of them on each side of me but sometimes they'll fight over who gets to lay where.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those eyes of yours, they look like an marbles :)


    ------------

    It's all About Pet Fences | Dog Fence

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute, it kinda sounds like our house....
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep. My head is coveted space as well. My Lucy sighs as well! Too funny. We are living the same boxer life!

    Mamma Heartbeat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like some musical sleeping spots going on! Always have to try out each spot to see which one is best for your mood :-)
    -Corbin

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dog has a wonderful eyes. His eyes is like a shining marbles..!

    Dog Crates

    ReplyDelete