Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Control That Dog!

I have been walking Lucy with the aid of a harness for as long as I can remember. She was so sweet as a tiny little puppy, then she got POWER, and all of a sudden I couldn't hold her any more. If we were walking and she saw cat, she dragged me to where the cat was and I was left out of breath and feeling very out of control.

About a week ago, her trusty faithful harness decided it had had enough of my powerful little boxer and decided to retire. So, for the last week, I have been walking Lucy without a harness. And I'm proud to say for the most part, it has been okay. As long as there are no distractions, children, adults, dogs or other cats, Lucy walks like a wonderful little pup! (How often can that be, you ask?)

After being pulled, running to the other end of the complex on Sunday night, chasing Toby, I knew it was time to take back control. I do not mind a good jog- but being pulled behind a boxer puppy with my feet barely touching the ground, is not my idea of a good time. Yesterday, I made a trip to Petco and came home with another harness for Lucy. Why do they have to make those things so complicated to put on a dog? I swear we tried 10 different applications before we came up with one that worked. I've gotta hand it to Lucy, she was very cooperative, most of the time.

We both enjoyed our walk last evening very much. It almost seems that Lucy prefers to be walked with a harness, or is that just my imagination?

I have a real problem. I can never, ever, ever go into Petco for just one thing and walk away without getting some kind of little surprise for Lucy, and sometimes tons of stuff that we could probably do without. (Petco loves people like me- I swear they see me coming from a mile away. I'm sure they all point and snicker and say "Here comes that girl, her boxer's got that human wrapped around her paws! You watch and see, she'll have a full buggy in 5 minutes flat!")

Well, yesterday, I was on a schedule, and I had a list. I was bound and determined to complete that list. On that list at Petco: Harness, Dog Shampoo, and something to occupy Lucy while I paint...

The "Occupy Lucy while I paint" turned out to be a bully stick. This is one of my favorite things to give to Lucy. The one I came home with yesterday was 12" long, and $4.49, but being able to paint without Lucy wiggling on my lap, was definitely priceless.

Lucy's been very cuddly and snuggly these last couple of days, which I don't mind one bit. Last night, she curled up in bed next to me and put her precious, paint covered head on my lap and fell asleep.... and then came those sweet, soft, little boxer snores! I just love it when she does that. (And she was nice and warm so it was great having her right next to me.

9 comments:

  1. Calhoun's breathing always puts me at ease at bedtime.

    Mamma Heartbeat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too adorably cute!!


    (((Hugs)) your friends
    Oskar, Schatzi & Xena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bully sticks are my favorite too! Mom used to walk me with a harness, but I kept getting rub marks... she tried a bunch of different brands and sizes... so we stick to a collar - which mom isn't a huge fan of, but I don't pull much so it doesn't choak me.
    -Corbin
    ps. Hope you enjoyed your bully stick! They're my FAVORITE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We know what you mean about harnesses being hard to put on! Lily wears one (not because she is too strong... she's 10 pounds... but because she's so scrawny she can slide out of her collar!) and sometimes it takes Mama ten hours to get it on her! Mama finally decided to just keep the leash on it at all times, to remind her how it is supposed to go on. (The leash goes on top!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lily rarely uses her harness cause Mr. Cesar Milan said no. Since switching to a collar, she doesn't pull any more. We love Petco, it's our favorite store
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  6. the sound of my dogs snoring is the best sound in the world..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree - there is something very comforting about a snoring pup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd be one of those people at Petco too if I could afford it.

    I love to hold my little chihuahua while he snores. I don't know why but it makes me so happy! My other chi doesn't really snore.

    ReplyDelete