Monday, April 19, 2010

Are we having fun yet?

I have spent a lot of time blogging about all of the fun that Lucy and I are having together, and have focused very little on the challenges facing Miss Lucy and I. There are of course, things in her training that are going very well. She went 3 days without an accident in the house, yesterday she rang the little poochie bells on the sliding glass door when she wanted to go outside, and today when she had to pee at the store, she ran to the door and she barked! Good Lucy- hang on- your human is coming. Needless to say her mother was so excited.

Lucy is being dual trained. In other words, she and I spend about 75% of our time at the store, and only about 25% of our time at the house. Not sure if that has anything to do with things, but I'm sure that it doesn't make it easier for Lucy to realize what she's supposed to do. None-the-less, I'm very proud of her housebreaking efforts. She's only been home 2 weeks, and I've tried to be so dilligent about taking her out. I guess the efforts are paying off...

My little darling also has some very wicked shark teeth- teeth which have met lots of unfortunate people over the last couple of weeks- if this keeps up, I'm going to need a blood transfusion. I don't think I've ever lost so much blood in such a short period of time, and I can barely get out of bed in the morning without having some kind of disaster!

Granted, she's just a puppy, although, I don't count that as an exscuse. Biting people is unacceptable- especially when it's me we're talking about! Her latest "attack" mode involves pant legs, and yesterday she tore a pair of my sweat pants and a pair of jeans (both items of clothing were still on my body). Don't get me wrong- I would love to incorporate strenth training into my way too busy life, however, dragging what will soon be a 50 pound boxer along as I attempt to sweep up massive quantities of german shepherd fur, is not what I had in mind. It's also quite challenging to clean a white kitchen floor with a boxer puppy making very fruitful attempts at "killing" the wash rag.

I've consulted with the "experts" (ie: the BML- love you guys!) and gotten some wonderful advice. This morning I made the decision to spend an hour in a private training session with a dog trainer as it is popular opinion that my little pup has decided that she wants to be the alpha leader. Both she and her human obviously need some correcting. In the meantime, as soon as I shake my little tazmanian devil off of my leg- or unclench that deathly grip- I'm going to ignore my puppy. You get the idea!

While Lucy most definitely knows the meaning of the words "come", "sit" and of course the uttered 90 times an hour "no", when she doesn't want to listen (most often associated with knowing that her human does not have a treat in her hand) she most definitely will not. It is extremely frustrating, although I read that this is all part of boxer nature.

I must count my blessings- as I mentioned previously, Lucy and I spend about 75% of our time together at the store- the furniture store. Believe me when I say that I had some serious qualms about bringing a puppy into a store full of wood furniture. (Memories of an adorable little basset hound chewing so much that I feared for the stability of the house, came flying back to me- there was nothing that was too good for my little basset to chew on; furniture, molding, doors, plants, carpet, etc.) However, she has yet to chew on a single piece of furniture- maybe it's her human's hawk eyes, or maybe it's the fact that we own more puppy toys than are currently available at Petco!

Just a few "funny moments" from our 10 week old photo shoot that we did yesterday. Couldn't help but post them! I would love to know what she's thinking starting down at the lilacs- probably that her human is a little off her rocker.
Sometimes I think my little boxer is part kitten- her movements are so catlike at times!

No comments:

Post a Comment