Thursday, July 8, 2010

Lockdown!



The last two days since Lucy's eye was attacked have been rather crazy. Under the advice of many people who seem to be very adept at providing solid and sound advice, I have Lucy on lock down. She is not having any interaction at all with the GS. I can assure you it's not fun for boxer or Human. I feel like I'm running a circus, and this morning at one point, I even forgot which dog I was trying to let out of the house and which door I should be going in. It goes something like this:

1. Put Lucy in the house through the sliding glass door. Try to explain to her that it's for her own good, and that "no, Lucy- you cannot play with the GS." Wonder to myself why I think that my words make any sense to my little boxer. Question my sanity.

2. Run (not fun considering the deck is in full reach of the sun's excruciatingly hot rays, and not immune to what has to be 210% humidity) across the deck and let the GS out the laundry room door.

3. Scoot in the laundry room door to see what mischief my little boxer has found. Almost slip on the wet tile floor- appearently instead of drinking the water, the GS has just dumped it all over the floor which he clearly forgot to mention as I was letting him outside.

4. Breath a sigh of relief when I discover Lucy in the kitchen eating her breakfast- shame on you human for thinking she found mischief.

5. Run back to the laundry room door, 15 minutes later, let the GS in the house (wish that instead of coffee I had drunk water on my mad dash to let the GS in). Wonder if I'm going to make it to work on time, and think I might have to go take another shower after all of this running around!

6. Scoot across the deck and let Lucy out the sliding glass door. (Is this the right thing, right at this moment? Yep, I think it is!)

7. Repeat...

I was tired, hot and somewhat melted before I even left the house! But at least I knew Lucy was safe. And surprisingly enough, I don't look like I just ran the Boston Marathon in 100 degree heat... See, miracles do happen!

Lucy's eye is healing very nicely! I'm sure it's got something to do with the excellent and quick treatment she recieved and of course all of the Boxer Vibes that our BML friends have been sending her way. Don't ever doubt the power of a Boxer Vibe! (It's the eye on the left in this picture!) Thankfully, she doesn't seem to be in any type of pain, (I know this because she had more than enough energy to attack my feet rather enthusiastically last night) and we're even doing better with the eye drops, although, I'm still waiting till she's conked out and snoring before I even attempt the challenge. (I may be blonde, and I may have my moments- and my little boxer may be really smart- but I'm smarter!) It works out quite well actually- by the time the second drop is ready to fall, her eyes are usually open, and I can get the 3rd and 4th drop in there before she scampers to the other side of the bed to pout for 10 minutes before deciding she loves me again!

Last night, Lucy helped me in the yard for a little while (It was cooler outside than what it was in the house since we were gone all day).

On Monday, in what I'll call an act of defiance, I decided to trim back the neighbor's intruding pine tree branches. (You may remember the incident where the cops were called, a few weeks back over the property line intrusion!). Well, along 2 sides of our yard, there is a fence, and HER trees are on the other side of the fence, and they're overgrown (into our yard) making it extremely challenging for us to get the lawnmower underneath them without coming out on the other side covered from head to toe in pine tree sap. And seeing as how she's so picky about things crossing the property line, I decided that it was completely improper for her trees to be on our side of the fence. Immature, maybe. But isn't what's good for the goose good for the gander?

If you're wondering how Lucy helped, well she dragged the sappy pine tree branches all over the yard from the fire pit before I could get the fire started, and then her Human had to run all over the yard and gather those prickly little branches all over again. So, Lucy provided her Human with lots of exercise. "Good Lucy".

I just have to wonder if there is anything more precious than a slumbering boxer baby? (Especially one who is snoring?) After all the yard work, and a little bit of tug of war, both Lucy and her Human were extremely tired, so we retired to the bedroom underneath the comfort of the ceiling fan and the cranked air conditioning.

Just look at the size of Lucy's feet. Everyone keeps telling me how enormous they are and that she's going to be huge. But, they don't look that big to me- I do think she has really long legs, though!

Sweet dreams, little Lucy!

9 comments:

  1. I adore you!...My daddy Ron said he had a Boxer when he was a toddler and they were the best of buddies...Her name was Ginger and she went on his paper route with him every morning....sucha wonderful dog and breed....Welcome to my blog!!!slurp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to read what has happened to you, looks like your on the mend, keeping mom on her toes is what its all about. give her a kiss from me, it would have not been nice seeing you go though that.
    See Yea George xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Lucy Lou,

    It's always a good thing to helps our peoples get extra exercise, only somtimes my mom doesn't appreciate what I do.... :)

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae

    PeeS Good girl for letting your mom puts the eye drops in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tries so very hard to be a good buddy to my hooman! N I know she does her best to take good cares of me! But, I hates dos eye drops! I don't know whys we has to do em any way... I keeps tellin my hooman, I'm fine! See ma, my butt's wigglin...

    Wiggles & Giggles,
    Lucy Lou!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your baby is just beautiful. I admire all the work you are putting into her healing process. Can't wait to show my daughter your blog. She's a boxer fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy, you must be worn out, watching your human do all that exercise!

    XXXOOO Daisy, Kendra & Bella

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to my blog, Parsley, Daisy, Kendra & Bella! So happy yours joinen us to follows my adventures... there are many more to come!

    Wiggles & Giggles,
    Lucy Lou!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! Hope Lucy is better!!! Mama said my injury will take awhile to get better so she's carrying me alot...
    xoxoxo Chloe and LadyBug

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chloe & Ladybug,

    We's so happy to hear that... "Hey ma, why aren't you carrying me? I's injured..."

    " Ugh, Lucy- you weigh 40 lbs..."

    " I gots it... That's okay ma!"

    Wiggles & Giggles,
    Lucy Lou

    ReplyDelete