Friday, April 9, 2010

Lucy's 1st week

What a week Lucy's 1st week home has been! (I'm not sure if it was more traumatic for me or for her- I just hope that next week is a little less stressful or I'm going to require strong medication or alcohol.) We've definitely had some challenges, some of which we've found solutions for, some of which are going to require more thought.

Riding in the car was a big challenge. I don't think Lucy minds the car, she just wants to be on mamma's lap which is at the very least a bit of an issue now, but will be impossible when she's 70 lbs. Shifting just isn't easy with a little fur ball on your lap, especially one that won't sit still, not to mention it's just not safe.

I bought a car harness for her at Petco which required the assistance of the vet to figure out how to hook her up. I was so excited, until she figured her way out of the harness. I tried one morning to put her in a box, she just tipped it over within 1 mile of the house. Yesterday, a new car harness arrived, and while it's a little bit big, she can't get out of it, and it's holding my rambunctious little bundle in one place while we're on the road. She slept the whole way here this morning- I think Lucy likes it!

Those sharp little shark teeth are a big problem, mainly for me and not her. My hands and ankles look like I've gone a round or two with some kind of saw. I actually had a customer ask me what happenned to me, and I could tell she didn't believe me when I pointed to my darling Lucy. Yesterday she took a huge slice out of the palm of my hand. Rob wrestles with her all the time, but there's a big difference between when Daddy does it and when Mommy does it. They play for a little while, and then she stops all of the nipping with him. Of course, he's not around her all day like I am either. I will say that I'm getting faster at putting a chew toy in her mouth, but sometimes still not fast enough. My little boxer baby has a real wild streak in her that comes out a couple of times a day. It's very Tasmanian like in nature.

I mentioned trauma earlier in this post. Lucy had her 1st trip to the vet this week. She's current on her shots for another couple of weeks, but I just wanted her to meet the vet, and let the vet just have a look! I'm glad we went because we discovered that Lucy has 2 types of worms. One of which was treatable with an oral injection and the other is going to require 11 days of antibiotics. That certainly explains the issues we're having with not being able to make it outside quickly enough!

2 hours after leaving the vets, Lucy woke up from her morning nap with a huge blister like bump underneath her eye. The vet didn't think it was a reaction to the oral meds she was given that morning, but suggested that she had maybe gotten bit by something. (Not entirely out of the question, since Lucy is afraid of nothing, and probably stuck her whole head somewhere it shouldn't have been!) So, off to the drug store for the children's Benedryl we went. It took about 2 hours for the swelling to go down, but she was fine after the dose of Benedryl and the good long Benedryl induced nap. I still don't know what bit her or what she got into, but I am very thankful it was so easy to remedy. And now I am defitely prepared.

After only 7 days with my little boxer baby, I am 100% convinced that if my little pup can find trouble, she most certainly will. This morning, Rob and I were in the hot tub, and both dogs were out roaming the yard when we heard crying. It was most certainly Lucy crying. She had gotten herself stuck in our little swamp pond- she was up to her pretty little eyeballs in green pond scum. Rob jumped out of the hot tub and rescued my little dog, and then she and I promptly retired to the house for a nice hot bath (her not me). She smells a lot better now, but I suspect that it might take 1 more bath to get rid of the smell entirely. I don't know for sure, but I think that she may have been watching one of the many frogs that inhabit that pond, and when the frog jumped, Lucy jumped too!

I think the events of the morning completely wore her out. She didn't seem to mind the water, as a matter of fact, she stuck her little head right under the sprayer when I stuck her in the kitchen sink for her bath. But, she was definitely cold and has been sleeping ever since I cleaned her up. I only wish I had gotten a picture of my little pup- hopefully, I'll never see her that dirty ever again!

No comments:

Post a Comment